A clean install of Windows is restoring your device to its initial state. But after a while, by installing and using various apps and programs your computer might get slowed down by the processes you are constantly running. So, without re-installing Windows 10, 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 from scratch you should apply some customization and optimization operations in order to speed up your laptop, tablet or desktop.
An optimized system represents an OS that runs without lags or bugs, a firmware on which you can install new apps and run old processes without worrying that something bad might happen. Also, an optimized Windows 10, 8 or Windows 8.1 OS will respond to your actions instantly and will provide a great user experience whether you are playing a game, watching a movie or planning your work schedule by running dedicated software.
How can you keep a Windows 10/ Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 system fully optimized? Well, that’s easy especially if you know the basic tricks and tips that are recommended for increasing the speeds on any Windows based operating system. This is exactly what we will be checking during the guidelines from below, so don’t hesitate and learn how to bum the speeds on your Windows 8 powered laptop, tablet or desktop.
How to Speed Up and Optimize Windows 10, 8, 8.1 PCs
1. Apply General Optimization and Customization Operations
- Disable Animations, Shadows and other special effects
As we all know, the Windows 10, 8, 8.1 OS can be easily personalized by applying different animations and shadows. While these features are good-looking you also know that are slowing down your computer. So, the first thing to do will be to disable the unnecessarily animations, shadows an special effects. You can do so by following the next steps:
- Go to your Home Screen and from there launch the Run sequence (press Wind + R dedicated keyboard keys).
- In the Run box type sysdm.cpl and press enter in the end.
- From System Properties main window pick the Advanced tab and from there select Settings under Performances section.
- Choose Visual Effects and from there just uncheck Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing, Fade or slide menus into view and Fade or slide ToolTips into view.
- Save your changes and close the System Properties Window.
- Disable Un-useful Startup Programs
When rebooting or when starting your Windows 10/ Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 system there are loaded several in built software and programs, which are dubbed as Startup programs. Some of these tools are quite important, while others are just slowing down your device. So, in order to optimize your system you should disable some Startup programs – follow the steps from below for doing the same:
- Launch Task Manager on your Windows 8, 8.1 base device – use the Ctrl + Alt + Del sequence in that matter.
- Pick the Startup tab, take a look over the Startup Impact section and just disable the processes that contain the high startup impact.
- Use only one Antivirus or Antimalware Software
Protecting your data is a must when having a Windows 10, 8 based device, especially when navigating through various online sources. In that matter it is more than recommended to use an antivirus or antimalware software. Well, make sure you are choosing a proper program that can offer full protection and also Firewall support. Moreover choose a tool that isn’t requiring too much resources or else your computer might be slowed down.
— RELATED: Best Antivirus software to use in 2018 for your Windows 10 PC
- Choose the perfect Power Plan
On any Windows 10, 8, or Windows 8.1 featured device you can choose from three different Power Plans. Now, these Power Plans are satisfying certain demands which mean that you can also bump the speeds by choosing the right features. So, if you want full power you should use High Performance mode because in this mode the CPU is running with full energy.
2. Apply Dedicated Optimization Procedures
- Clean your Registry
Installing and running various programs will eventually have an direct impact on Windows Registry database. Of course, in time your machine will be slowed down by the invalid and corrupt entries within Registry so it will be a good idea to use a Registry Cleaner app in order to keep a routine maintenance of your registry.
- Optimize Hard Drive performances
We all know that if there are problems with the hard drive your computer will run slower, with lags and with various errors. Well, that’s why you should periodically check the performance of your hard drive in order to optimize it and of curse for ensuring much power and better performances. Therefore, if you want to fix any Hard Drive problems, check the steps from below:
- Go to your Home Screen and from there access your Charm bar.
- In the Search box type defrag and press enter in the end.
- Within the search results choose Defragment and optimize your drives and the Optimize Drivers windows will be then displayed on your computer.
- First, for each driver pick analyze in order to see if a defragment operation is being required or not.
- If you need to repair your hard drive just pick the optimize option.
- Check for Bad Sectors on your Hard Drives
Another problem that might be related to your hard drives is the bad sectors issue. Well, in order to make things better and for bumping the speeds on your Windows 10, 8, 8.1 powered device, you should check for bad sectors. If there are bad sectors, the Windows OS will separate the same from the rest of your hard drive – if you will experience relevant bad sector issues, then the best will be to replace your hard drive with a new one. Here is how you can check for bad sectors:
- Right click on drive you want to analyze.
- Choose Properties.
- Select the Tools tab and just pick Check in order to see if there are any errors.
- Your Windows OS will check for issues on your drive and also it will prompt you with the proper results (then you will be able to see if there are bad sectors or not).
— RELATED: 14 best HDD health check software for PC users
- Don’t Turn off your computer
Each time you reboot or turn on your computer there will be loaded various in built programs and features. Basically the reboot sequence will have to initiate all the basic processes along with all the startup programs. That means you will have to wait until everything is being set up. Well, you can skip all this by putting your computer on hibernate or sleep mode. In that way, when you turn on your device, it will be restored right from where you left it, without being necessarily to initiate the startup process.
- Uninstall apps and programs that you don’t need
If you don’t regularly use particular apps and software, it’s easy to forget you installed them on your computer. Some of these apps may even run in the background thus using your computer’s resources. The best solution is to simply go through the list of apps and programs installed on your machine and uninstall those that you no longer need.
- Install a reliable PC optimizer
There are tens of PC optimizer solutions available on the market, and choosing the right one for your needs is not an easy task. To help you out, we compiled a list of the best Windows 10 PC optimizers that you can install on your machine to make it snappier.
These are the main optimization tips and tricks that you can apply for improving the speeds on your Windows 10, 8 or Windows 8.1 based device. All the operations from above can be easily completed even by a newbie so don’t hesitate and test the same in order to check the results. Of course, in the end don’t forget about us and provide a feedback of your experience.